August 7, 2018

Please reload

Recent Posts

Preparing for a Trial Run

August 14, 2018

1/4
Please reload

Featured Posts

An Intro to Pea Protein

December 20, 2017

 

 


Pea protein is sourced not from your classic, green peas (found generally in canned or frozen products at the grocery store), but rather the yellow field pea. A dried legume (also referred to as yellow split peas, and further categorized as a "pulse"), this ingredient is behind a plentiful array of food innovations on the scene, including meat-analogues, egg-less mayo, vegan protein mixes, alternative-dairy beverages, and bars.


It's just about wherever soy protein once was, pea protein has now replaced. This is a very sensible solution considering the negative perception of soy ingredients, followed by the fact it (soy) is a common food allergen in both the USA and Canada. 


Call outs.

Not even when it comes to hats, is there a true one-size-fits-all - let alone in the approach to foods! However, if any food product comes close, it's pea protein. Pea protein has gained traction due to its high versatility in product categories, and alignment with long-term consumer trends. Of the many criteria parameters, it checks quite a few:


- Plant-based protein (Vegan-friendly)
- Sustainable protein ingredient
- Non-GMO
- Free from the Top 8 food allergens in the USA
- Free from the Top 12 food allergens in Canada
- Gluten-free
- Grown in North America



Practicality.

Pea protein can theoretically be derived from an array of pea species, but the yellow field pea provides several advantages over other options. These benefits are key in giving this ingredient the best chances of adoption by product developers and consumers:


(1) Nutrition: Yellow field peas offer about 22% protein content. When further processed into a protein isolate, pea protein can supply an amount ranging from 75-85% protein content. Upon closer look at its protein quality, the amino acid profile of the ingredient is impressively diverse, containing all essential and non-essential amino acids. 


(2) Color: Its light yellow color results in a neutral-colored ingredient when processed into its powder form. Neutral color allows for ease in maintaining color integrity characteristic of a food product, or at least, ease in the use of color additives.


(3) Taste: Yellow field peas present less of a beany/planty/earthy taste in comparison to other species of peas. With that said, taste profile is truly unique to the proprietary processes of individual manufacturers/suppliers.


(4) Function: Pea protein is an incredibly versatile ingredient. Its uses span multiple categories for purposes of protein, dairy-alternatives, texture, and as an emulsifier. 


Products include:
- Ready to drink beverages (for protein, dairy-alternatives)
- Dry beverage blends (protein, dairy-alternatives)
- Bars (protein)
- Baked goods (protein)
- Extruded snacks (protein, texture)
- Dressings (protein, emulsifier, dairy-alternatives)
- Sauces (protein, emulsifier, dairy-alternatives)
- Spreads (protein, emulsifier, dairy-alternatives)



Nutrition.

The USDA database reports a 22% protein content in yellow split peas. In other words, per 100g of as-is yellow split peas, there’s 22g of protein. When processed into pea protein, yellow field peas are milled (ground into a fine powder) and its macronutrients isolated (carbohydrates separated from protein) to yield a higher percent protein content. Protein contents for pea protein (as opposed to stand-alone yellow field peas) are generally in the 75% - 85% range at this time. In other words, per 100g of pea protein, there's a standardized 75 to 85g of protein. The remaining 15% - 25% is carbohydrates (starch, fiber, sugar) and fat.


The amino acid profile per 100g of [solely] protein derived from yellow split peas is below. For comparison purposes, also included is the amino acid profile per 100g of protein derived from whey protein. Pea protein (derived from yellow split peas) offers nearly 3X more arginine & 1.5X more glycine than protein derived from whey.